Guide to Alaska Museums
Museum Listings by City
Simon Paneak Memorial Museum
Physical location: 341 Mekiana Road
Mailing address: PO 21085, Anaktuvuk Pass, AK 99721
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. year round.
Curator: Vera Kalik Wood
Nunamiut Eskimo history and traditions; tools clothing; skin tent; caribou; hunting; fishing; trapping; trading. Guided tours, formal education programs for students; loan exhibits; special events. Educational materials, local Native crafts, gift items and other museum related items for sale in shop.
Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum
Physical location: 4721 Aircraft Drive, Anchorage
Mailing address: 4721 Aircraft Drive, Anchorage, AK 99502
Hours: May 15-Sept 15: Daily, 9am -5pm. Sept 15 - May 15: Wed -Sun, 9am- 5pm
Staff: Norman Lagasse, Director; Shari Hart, Marketing and Development.
Admission: Adults $10; Seniors $8; Children 5-12: $6; 4 and under free; student groups: $3
20 aircraft of various types including a 1928 Stearman C2B, a 1934 WACO YKC, a 1929 Travelair 6000B, a 1937 F-24-G, a 1937 Stinson SR9 "Gullwing," a 1943 Grumman Goose and a 1943 PBY 5A Catalina Canso. Exhibits include The Aleutian Campaign during WWII; Wiley Post and Will Rogers; the search for Carl Ben Eielson; historic polar flights and much more. A selection of historic aviation videos, pioneer pilots and their achievements is shown in the theater. Museum shop sells models, pins, clothing, stuffed animals, postcards, jewelry and other items relating to aviation. A flight simulator is included in the cost of admission.
Alaska Museum of SCIENCE AND NATURE
Physical location: 201 N. Bragaw Street, Anchorage, AK 99508
Mailing address: same
Hours: summer: Tues-Sat, 10am-5pm;
winter: Tues-Sat, 10am-5pm;
Admission: $5 adults, $3 children
Staff: Kach Bacheller, Director
Description: Largest exhibits of rocks, minerals and exciting rare fossils in the state. Learn about North America's oldest duckbill dinosaur found in the local Talkeetna Mountains, as well as our major dinosaur discoveries of the 90s. Dioramas rich in ecology, large mammals and birds.
Alaska Native Heritage Center
Physical location: 8800 Heritage Center Drive, Anchorage, AK 99506
Mailing address: same
Phone: 330.8000 or 800.315.6608
Hours: summer hours begin on Mothers' Day: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily until mid-September.
Admission: Adults $24.95, Children (7-16) $16.95.
Staff: Jon Ross, Director; Scott Neel, Curator.
An educational and cultural institution for all Alaskans, the Alaska Native Heritage Center will provide programs in both academic and informal settings, including workshops, demonstrations and guided tours of indoor exhibits and outdoor village sites. Local residents and visitors to Alaska are introduced to Native traditions and customs of both the past and present. The Welcome House is a celebration of contemporary Alaska Native cultures while the outdoor facilities and sites allow the exploration of ancient tradition and the presentation of stories from the past. Our Center provides a unique opportunity to experience Alaska's Native cultures in one location.
Alaska State Trooper Museum
Physical location: 245 W. Fifth Avenue
Mailing address: PO 100280, Anchorage, AK. 99510-0280
Hours: Mon.-Fri. 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Sat. Noon-4 p.m.
Staff: Laura Caperton, Exec. Dir.; Doug Norris, President.
The history of law enforcement in the Territory and State of Alaska is told in exhibits, memorabilia and photographs. A small gift shop is also located on the premises.
Physical location: 4731 O'Malley Road
Mailing address: 4731 O'Malley Road, Anchorage, AK 99516
Hours: Summer: Tuesday through Friday 9 a.m. - 9 p.m. Winter: Call for times.
Admission: Adults: $12; Age 3-17: $6; Under 2: Free; Military: $9; Seniors: $9.
Staff: Pat Lamp, Director
Most Alaskan animals: wolves, polar bear, brown bear, glacier bear, black bear, wolverine, musk ox, seal, otter, moose, caribou, lynx, etc. Elephant. Guided trips on request.
Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center
Location: 625 C Street, Anchorage 99501
Hours: Summer (May 9 - Sept. 12): Daily 9am - 6pm
Winter: (Sept 14 - May 8th) Tues.- Sat. 10am - 6pm, Sun. 12 - 6pm
Admission: Adults: $10; Seniors, students and military:: $7; Ages 3-12: $7; members: Free
Staff: Erin Mahaffey, Executive Secretary; Archives 929.9235; Collections 929.9237; Education & Programming 929.9271; Exhibits 929.9249
Exhibits and collections represent Alaska's Natives, state history, and Alaskan art. Spacious galleries house informative and educational exhibits of the permanent collection and temporary exhibits from around the world. Education-based programs include: classes, tours, lectures, performances, and films. Special exhibits, classes and events for children. Facilities include: museum shop, cafe, library and archives. Accredited by the American Association of Museums.
Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson Wildlife Education Center
Physical location: 8481 19th Street, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, AK 99506-3240
Mailing address: 673 CES/CEANC 6326 Arctic Warrior Drive, JBER AK 99506-3240
Hours: Monday – Thursday 12pm until 4:15pm, Friday 12pm until 2pm
Admission: Free if authorized JBER access
Staff: Herman Griese, Wildlife Biologist, and Alicia Bricker, Center Coordinator/S&K Global Solutions
The JBER Wildlife Education Center is the centerpiece of conservation management, and has a display of over 200 wildlife specimens from around the state as well as cultural and natural resource exhibits, ecosystems displays.
Alaska Heritage Museum at Wells Fargo
Physical location: Wells Fargo Bank, 301 W. Northern Lights Boulevard Suite 103
Mailing address: 301 W. Northern Lights Boulevard, K3212-051, Anchorage, AK 99510
Hours: Winter, Mon. - Fri. noon - 4 p.m; Summer - Memorial Day to Labor Day - Mon-Fri, 12:00 - 5:00
Admission: No admission fee; Free parking.
Staff: Artemis Bona-Dea, Curator.
The museum interprets Alaska Native culture through extensive exhibits supported by a reference library of more than 2,500 books on Alaska subjects. A collection of paintings by Alaska's major artists, featuring a fine collection of Sydney Laurence paintings, is on permanent display. The museum's curator is on duty in the gallery at all times.
Oscar Anderson House Museum
Physical location: 420 M Street, Anchorage, AK 99501
Mailing address: same
Summer hours: Monday through Friday 12:00 - 5:00. Also open for Sweedish Christmas (1st and 2nd weekends in December) and Christmas Tours as well as upon request at other times; otherwise closed in winter.
Admission: Adults $3; Seniors $2; children (5-12) $1
Staff: Mary A. Flaherty, Museum Manager 333.6563
Anchorage's only house museum (c. 1915), located adjacent to the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail with a sweeping vista of Cook Inlet. During guided tours, visitors will learn about the early history of Anchorage (Tent City, the Alaska Railroad, the land auction) and about Oscar Anderson, a Swedish immigrant and Anchorage pioneer and businessman, and his family. One of the city's first privately built permanent family residences, the small wood frame house has been restored to the 1915-1925 time period and contains many original fixtures and items belonging to the Anderson family, including a 1909 Hallet and Davis player piano.
Anvik Historical Society and Museum
Mailing address: PO 110, Anvik, AK 99558
Hours: Summer: open by appointment; Winter: closed.
Admission: None, donations accepted.
Staff: Donna V. MacAlpine, 663.6360
Collections include local Athabaskan artifacts from mid-19th century to the present, historic photographs and artifacts from the Anvik Mission ( Episcopal) established in 1887, household articles and trade goods from the early 20th century.
Inupiat Heritage Center
Physical address: 5421 North Star Street
Mailing address: PO 749, Barrow, AK 99723
Staff: Beverly Hugo - Facility Director, ECHO Project Manager
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 - 5:00
Admission: 18-55, $5; 15-17, $2; 7-14, $1; college students, $2; up to age 6 and seniors, free. Contact for fees.
Exhibits, collections, educational outreach, performances and activities, meeting rooms, Qargi, library.
Yupiit Piciryarait Cultural Center and Museum
Physical location: 420 Chief Eddie Hoffman (State) Highway
Mailing address: PO 219, Bethel, AK 99559
Contact staff: Vivian Korthius (543-7331) or Mary Woods
Hours: Monday through Friday 12:00 - 4:00 beginning in April
Admission: donation requested
The Yupiit Piciryarait Museum and gift shop are conveniently located in the same building which houses the Regional Cultural Center and the University of Alaska, Kuskokwim Campus Library. The Museum has three galleries. One gallery is reserved for permanent exhibits of clothing, household, hunting and gathering implements used by the people of the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta in ancient and contemporary times. Two galleries are reserved for short term exhibitions. The Museum Gift Shop specializes in Alaska Native art work of the region.
Big Delta (see Delta Junction)
Circle Historical Museum
Physical location: Mile 128 Steese Highway
Mailing address: PO 30189, Central, AK 99730
Hours: Memorial Day-Labor Day: Daily 1 - 5 p.m.
Upon request at other times.
Mining equipment, gold display; artifacts from the local area; restored and fully outfitted miner's cabin; wildflower display.
Cooper Landing Historical Society and Museum
Physical location: 17956 Sterling Highway (mile 48.7)
Mailing address: P.O. Box 542, Cooper Landing, AK 99572
Email: email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: summer: May 15th – September 15th, Wednesday through Monday, noon to 5 p.m. or by appointment.
Admission: Donations welcome.
Staff: Mona Painter, President
Cooper Landing’s history is displayed in two historic buildings: Jack Lean’s Cabin built in the late 1920s and the home of Cooper Landing post office for almost 40 years, and the School House built in 1955 and used until September2001.
George Ashby Memorial Museum/Copper Valley Historical Society
Physical location: Mile 101 Old Richardson Highway, Copper Center Loop Road
Mailing address: PO 84, Copper Center, AK 99573
Hours: May 15-Sept.15: Mon.- Sun. 10am - 5 pm.
Admission: No admission fee; donations accepted.
Staff: Rebecca Nelson, Barb Sanders
Housed in rustic log cabins, the museum offers the visitor a unique look at the varied past of the Copper River Valley area. Exhibits include early mining of gold and copper, and Russian artifacts.
Cordova Historical Museum
Physical location: 622 First Street (Centennial Building)
Mailing address: PO 391, Cordova, AK 99574
Hours: Memorial Day to Labor Day: Mon.-Sat. 10-6 pm, Sunday 2-4 pm. Winter: Tues.-Fri. 10 am-5 pm, Sat. 1-5 pm.
Admission: $1; 18 and under, and members of the Cordova Historical Society or Museums Alaska: Free.
Staff: Cathy Sherman, Director; Judy Fulton, Collections Manager; Frances Mallory, Museum Asst.; Sharon Ermold, Museum Assistant
The theme of the museum, "Where Cultures Meet" exemplifies the diversity of material in the collection. Displays tell of early explorers to the area, the Native culture, Copper River Northwestern Railway/Kennicott Mine era, and the growth of the commercial fishing industry. A small gift shop operated by the Cordova Historical Society features books of local interest and other items. Monthly evening programs are sponsored by the Historical Society.
Ilanka Cultural Center, Museum, and Gift Gallery
Physical location: 110 Nicholoff Way
Mailing address: PO 322, Cordova, AK 99574
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: Winter, Tuesday - Friday 10-5 and by arrangement; Summer, Monday through Friday 10-5
Staff: Larue Barnes, Director of Cultural Center; Mary Babic, Native Arts Consortium Director
Historical and contemporary exhibits of the Native peoples and cultures of the Copper River and Prince William Sound area. Orca whale skeleton articulation; contemporary "subsistence" totem. Store.
Alaska Homestead and Historical Museum
Physical location: Mile 1415.4 Alaska Highway, 1 mile south on Darshorst Rd.
Mailing address: PO 389, Delta Junction, AK 99737
Hours: Call for hours.
Tour of an Alaskan homestead. Includes a tour of the homestead log house, green house and gardens, visiting an authentic Alaska freight dog team, having a look around the barns, corrals and out buildings, viewing livestock and an authentic operating sawmill that furnishes all the lumber used on the homestead. Also view a large selection of historical farming and mining equipment.
Delta Historical Society
Mailing address: PO 1089, Delta Junction, AK 99737
Provides exhibits at Rika's Roadhouse and Sullivan Roadhouse. See following listings.
Rika's Roadhouse and Landing
Physical location: Big Delta State Historical Park, Mile 275 Richardson Highway
Mailing address: PO 1229, Delta Junction, AK 99737
Hours: May 15 to Sept. 15: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Open by appointment in winter.
Admission: No admission fee.
Staff: David DiGloria; Emerson Eads; Nathan Vereide.
Rika's Roadhouse and Landing is in a ten-acre state park on the shores of the Tanana River. The Valdez-to-Fairbanks Trail ran through here and continued across the river, aided by a ferry. The roadhouse was built to accommodate the travelers and is a National Historic Site. The museum is a separate building behind the roadhouse and has displays of artifacts from the Alaskan life. There is a beautiful barn and two other historic display cabins set up to show how the military lived as they put in a telegraph line through here which opened up communication to Washington for the first time. There is also a gift shop, restaurant, and animals and birds to help create the right ambiance for this beautiful setting. Historic pamphlets are available for self tours and guided tours are always available.
Sullivan Roadhouse Historical Museum
Physical location: Mile 266 Richardson Hwy, Delta Junction, AK
Mailing address: PO 987, Delta Junction, AK 99737
Phone: 895.5068; summer, 895.4415
Hours: May - Sept, 10am to 5pm daily accept Sundays. Closed in winter.
Admission: Free admission
Staff: Jeffrey Durham, Curator/Project Archaeologist; Brenda Peterson, Executive Director; Courtney Durnam - PResident of Board.
The Sullivan Roadhouse Historical Museum is housed in the oldest roadhouse in the interior of Alaska and is located in the heart of Delta Junction at the End of the Alaska Highway. Built in 1905 by John and Florence Sullivan, the log lodge now houses a museum that focuses on the Valdez-Fairbanks Trail and the roadhouses that operated along its route. Beautifully recreated rooms, as well as interpretive exhibits give our visitors a real feel for life in turn of the century Alaska. Outside, one can enjoy a garden exploding with colorful wildflowers, a traditional vegetable garden/potato patch and interpretive pathways. Located across from the Delta Visitor Center, the Sullivan is a great stop along the trail of Alaska's history.
Samuel K. Fox Museum
Physical location: 306 D Street, West
Mailing address: PO 273, Dillingham, AK 99576
Phone: 842.4831; City of Dillingham: 842.5211
Hours: Mon-Fri 10am to 5:30pm; Sat 10am to 2pm
Admission: No admission fee, donations accepted.
Staff: Deb Burton, Chairperson
Large collection of Central Yup'ik objects; part of Sam Fox (Yup'ik carver) collection; Truman Emberg papers; original Constitution of State of Alaska (with Emberg's signature); large basket collection; skin sewing & fur exhibit. Dave and Mary Carlson collection.
Eagle Historical Society and Museums
Physical location: Eagle's Historic District
Mailing address: PO 23, Eagle City, AK 99738
Hours: Daily tours. Special tours upon request. Sept.-May: Special tours. 9am walking tour
Admission: $7. Memberships are available.
Staff: Jean Turner, Museum Director, Theresa Dean, Education Curator & Registrar; Sandy Lydic, Museum Store Manager
Exhibits in six restored historic buildings dating from the end of the 19th century: James Wickersham's first Courthouse, U.S. Custom House, the Improved Order of Red Men Lodge and three Fort Egbert buildings, all with period furnishings. Displays with photographs on the Gold Rush town, military fort and commercial center with judicial, communication, transportation, construction, agriculture, mining, pioneer activities and social organizations, schools, military, customs and Han Indian exhibits. All are located in the Eagle Historic District which is a National Historic Landmark. Museum gift shop offers books, items and crafts of the local area. Historic and current videos are shown weekly. Large archives and photograph collection available to the public. Videos and lectures are scheduled weekly, June through August.
Elfin Cove Museum
Physical location: Elfin Cove
Mailing address: PO 36, Elfin Cove, AK 99825
Hours: May - Sept by arrangement
Staff: Mary Jo Lord-Wild
Beginning collection of local artifacts and history.
Fairbanks Native Association
Not a museum but runs educational programs
Physical location: 201 Steese, Suite 4
Mailing address: 201 First Avenue, Suite 200, Fairbanks, AK 99701-4892
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 - 5:00
Staff: Johnson O'Mally
Admission: No admission fee; donations accepted.
Contemporary collection of Athabaskan cultural materials; gift shop.
Fairbanks Community Museum
Physical location: 5th & Cushman in Old City Hall
Mailing address: 410 Cushman, Fairbanks, AK 99701
Hours: Summer: Mon-Fri 10am - 4pm, Sat-Tues 10am - 6pm and by appointment.
Staff: Bob Ely, Director
This museum tells of the history of Fairbanks and was founded to help revitalize the downtown area. Features interpretive displays, period artifacts, newspapers, archival photos, extensive dog mushing memorabilia, and the official Yukon Quest store.
Pioneer Air Museum
Physical location: Pioneer Park, 2300 Airport Way
Mailing address: PO 70437, Fairbanks, AK 99707-0437
Phone: 451.0037 / 452.5609
Hours: Memorial Day-Labor Day: Daily 11 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Admission: Adults: $2; Children under 12 must be with an adult; Families: $5.
Staff: Leland D. Corkran, CEO
Discover the birthplace of Alaska aviation-16 aircraft, 41 engines, 50 years of aviation radio history; miscellaneous memorabilia of Interior and Arctic Alaska aviation history including the remains of Carl Ben Eielson's Hamilton aircraft, pictures and WWII artifacts. Operated by the Interior & Arctic Alaska Aeronautical Foundation. Museum shop sells books, pins, post cards, and shirts.
Pioneer Museum in Pioneer Park
Physical location: Pioneer Park, 2300 Airport Way
Mailing address: PO 70176, Fairbanks, AK 99707-0176
Hours: Memorial Day-Labor Day: Daily 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. Closed Nov. - Feb. Will open upon request.
Staff: Joanne Oehring, President of Board of Directors
Admission: No fee to museum; Donations gladly accepted.
Stampede Show: $4 for adults; $2 youth (6-16), Under 6, free.
Pioneer Museum displays historical collections of photos and artifacts of Fairbanks and the Fairbanks mining district from its beginnings in 1902 and early days through World War II. The show, "The Big Stampede" portrays the Gold Rushes to the Klondike and to Fairbanks. It comes alive through the brush of Fairbanks' and Alaska's premiere artist, C. "Rusty" Heurlin. It is dramatically lit as one progresses through history, guided by the descriptive narrative of Alaska Poet Laureate Ruben Gaines.
University of Alaska Museum of the North
Physical address: 907 Yukon Drive
Mailing address: PO 756960, Fairbanks, AK 99775-6960
Staff: Kerynn Fisher, Public Relations, 474.6941
Summer Hours: May 15-Sept. 15: 9 a.m.- 9 p.m.daily
Winter hours: Sept. 16-May 14: 9 a.m.- 5 p.m. Mon - Sat; closed on sunday
Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
Admission: General admission: $10, Seniors $9, Youth ages 7-17 $5.00, Children 6 and under: free. Group rates available. Effective May 1, 2006: Adults $8, Youth (7-17) $4.
Programs in education and exhibits; collections in aquatics, archeology, earth sciences, ethnology, herbarium, history, fine arts, mammalogy, education & ornithology. Accredited by the American Association of Museums.
Wickersham House Museum, Tanana-Yukon Historical Society
Physical location: Pioneer Park, Airport Way
Mailing address: PO 71336, Fairbanks, AK 99707
Phone: 455.8947 message phone (unreliable during the winter)
Contact staff: Renee Blahuta
Hours: Memorial Day-Labor Day: Daily 11 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Admission: No admission fee; donations accepted.
A small house museum, dedicated to the life and times of Judge James Wickersham and his familyduring the years 1900-1910. House, furnishings and decor are authentic to the time period and to the Wickersham family.
Alaska Indian Arts
Physical location: #24 Fort Seward Drive or Historic #13
Mailing address: PO 271, Haines, AK 99827
Hours: Summer: Mon.- Fri. 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. and by request.
Admission: $2 per person for large tours; otherwise free.
Totem carving, silkscreen and silver carving with Native artists; Tlingit artifacts; rare book collection. Products for sale include carvings, silkscreens and books.
American Bald Eagle Foundation
Physical location: 113 Haines Hwy.
Mailing address: PO 49, Haines, AK 99827
Hours: Summer, Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m. -6 p.m.; Sat.-Sun. 1-4 p.m. Oct., Mon-Fri., 1-4p.m. Closed after Nov. 15.
Admission: Adults $3, children 8-12 $1, under 8 free.
Staff: Susan Johnston, Administrator
Natural History displays feature over 150 specimens of wildlife found in the local Chilkat Valley and its surrounding waters. Dioramas present wildlife in their native habitats. Video presentation of the world famous Chilkat Valley "Gathering of Eagles." Interpretive talks, gift shop, rest rooms.
Physical location: 108 Main Street
Mailing address: PO 702, Haines, AK 99827
Hours: May 1-Sept. 30: Mon.-Fri. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
A collection of approximately 1400 types of hammers, representing many different trades and uses, housed in a cottage-style house. The Hammer Museum provides a journey into the past through the use of man's first tool. From ancient times to the present, the hammer tells the story of man's progress and ingenuity. A unique adventure for the whole family.
Sheldon Museum and Cultural Center
Physical location: 11 Main Street
Mailing address: PO 269, Haines, AK 99827
Hours: Summer (mid-May-mid-Sept.): Mon-Fri 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Sat & Sun 1 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. Extended hours on cruise ship days. Winter: Mon - Fri, 1 - 4 p.m.
Admission: $3, Children under 12 free.
Staff: Jerrie Clarke, Director; Blythe Carter, Operations; Karen Meizner, Collections Assistant; Kathryn Fridle, Eduation Coordinator.
Discover Haines! The Sheldon Museum is the museum of the Chilkat Valley. Experience the art and culture of the Tlingit people. Re-live pioneer days, explore the gold rush, the Dalton Trail and life at Fort William H. Seward. The museum store has a large selection of local and Alaskan books. Accredited by the American Association of Museums.
Alaska Islands and Ocean Visitor Center
Physical location: 95 Sterling Highway, Homer, AK 99603
Mailing address: same
Hours: Memorial Day through Labor Day, daily from 10am-5pm. Fall/Winter/Spring: Tues.- Sat. noon to 5pm.
Staff: Marianne Aplin, Visitor Center manager
A marine wildlife-oriented visitor, education and research complex supported by several government agencies. Situated on a 60 acre hillside site overlooking Kachemak Bay with a 5,000 square foot exhibit hall, auditorium, book store, and nature trails.
Pratt Museum / Homer Society of Natural History
Physical location: 3779 Bartlett Street
Mailing address: 3779 Bartlett Street, Homer, AK 99603
Hours: mid-May through mid-Sept.: Daily 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.; mid-Sept through mid-May: Tues. - Sun. noon - 5 p.m. Closed Jan., Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day
Admission: Adults: $6; Seniors: $5.50; Youth 6-18: $3; Children under 6: free; Family (2 adults and children): $20; Members: free. Group rates available.
Staff: Diane Converse, Pete Lundskow, Ryjil Christianson
The museum focuses on the natural and cultural history of the Kenai Peninsula. Exhibits include artifacts from the area's earliest Native inhabitants to homesteaders of the '30s & '40s. Excellent aquariums and a tide-pool tank feature live Kachemak Bay sea creatures. Visitors may operate remotely controlled cameras to view Alaska seabirds on inaccessible islands. Also exhibited are Alaska birds and mammals including complete skeletons of a Bering Sea beaked whale, Beluga whale and Steller's sea lion. Changing exhibits feature Alaska artwork and other topics of special interest. Summer visitors may take a self-guided tour through the botanical garden and the Forest Ecology Trail and visit the historic Harrington Homestead cabin. The Museum Store features books, educational toys, native crafts and Alaska collectibles. Accredited by the American Association of Museums.
Hope-Sunrise Historical and Mining Museum
Physical location: Across from post office and 2nd Avenue
Mailing address: PO 88, Hope, AK 99605
Phone: 782.3740 during summer.
Hours: Memorial Day to Labor Day, Fri. thru Mon., noon - 4 p.m. Closed winter.
Main contact: Diane Olthuis, President, 782.3115; Ann Miller 782.3471
The Hope-Sunrise Historical and Mining Museum exhibits photographs and artifacts of the Turnagain Arm Gold Rush of 1896 and the years since. Displays include a road grader, dog sled, rock crusher, blacksmith bellows and postal boxes. In addition to the log museum building there is a mine bunkhouse and a blacksmith shop.
Hyder Community Association
Physical location: Main Street, adjacent to Forest Service office and public library.
Mailing address: PO 149, Hyder, AK 99923
Hours: Summer: Mon.- Sat. 9 a.m.-3 p.m.; Winter: Mon.- Sat.11 a.m.-5 p.m.
Staff: Caroline Stewart 636.2361
A small museum with historical artifacts and photos and a nice collection of local wildlife.
Alaska State Museum
Physical location: 395 Whittier Street
Mailing address: 395 Whittier St., Juneau, AK 99801-1718
Museum Services: 888.913.6873
Hours: Summer (mid-May to mid-Sept.): Mon.- Fri. 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.; Sat. - Sun, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.; Winter: Tues. - Sat. 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Admission: Adults, $5; Winter rate, $3; 18 and under and Friends members, Free; Annual Museum Pass, $15.
Staff: Bruce Kato, Chief Curator 465.4866; Steve Henrikson, Curator of Collections 465.4826; Bob Banghart, Curator of Exhibits 465.4819; Scott Carrlee, Museum Services 465.2396. Lisa Golisek, Security and Visitor Services, 465.4809. Museum Store: 465.4845.
Established in 1900, the Museum collects, exhibits, and interprets the human and natural history of Alaska. The Museum features a full-size bald eagle nesting tree and extensive ethnographic exhibits on the cultures of Alaska's Native people. Two galleries offer changing exhibits. Docent tours scheduled throughout the summer. Arboretum on grounds features Alaska plants. The Museum provides statewide museum services and assists in the development of the state's cultural and historic resources. The Museum Store, operated by the Friends of the Alaska State Museum, offers a wide array of Native arts, publications, and educational materials. Accredited by the American Association of Museums.
House of Wickersham
Physical location: 213 7th Street
Mailing address: 400 Willoughby Ave., Juneau, AK 99801
Phone: 586.9001 or 465-2453 (Paul)
Hours: Closed until further notice.
Historic home of Judge James Wickersham, first Alaska territorial delegate to Congress, Gold Rush judge, proponent of "home rule" and noted historian. Wickersham family heirlooms and Native arts and crafts, furniture, concert square piano. Facility can be rented for meetings.
Juneau Douglas City Museum
Physical location: 4th & Main Streets
Mailing address: 155 South Seward, Juneau, AK 99801
Hours: Summer (May 1 - late Sept.): weekdays 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.; weekends: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Winter: Tues.- Sat., 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. and by appointment for groups.
Office hours: 9:00 - 5:00 weekdays
Admission: Summer: Adults $4; 18 and under and AAM, AASLH and MA members free. Winter: Free admission courtesy of community sponsors.
Staff: Jane Lindsey, Director; Addison Field , Collections and Exhibits Curator; Alysia McLain, Public Program Curator, Jane Terry, Office Assistant.
Exhibits and videos feature early Juneau life and gold mining history. Large relief map of Juneau, 500-700 year-old basketry-style fish trap, visitor information, historic downtown Juneau guide, and museum shop available. Art exhibits featuring local artists change Oct-April, local history exhibits change throughout the year. Hands-on History children's room available Oct-April. Special Saturday and First Friday activities October - May.
Last Chance Mining Museum
Physical location: Last Chance Basin at the end of Basin Road
Mailing address: 1001 Basin Road, Juneau, AK 99801
Hours: Summer (Mid-May - Late Sept.): 9:30 - 12:30 pm and 3:30 - 6:30 pm daily or by appointment.
Admission: $5, call for special rates for private tours and groups.
Staff: Gary Gillette, Director. Renee Hughes, Volunteer Coordinator.
Located in the historic compressor building associated with the former Alaska Juneau Gold Mining Company which operated in Juneau from 1912 until 1944. The museum features one of the world's largest air compressors and other industrial artifacts associated with hard rock gold mining. The site also includes electric locomotives and rail cars which hauled men to the mine and ore to the mill. Access to the museum is via a short hike up the hill on a trail of uneven terrain-well worth the effort. Museum is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and Alaska Gold Rush Properties.
K'beq Interpretive Site
Physical location: mile 52.6 Sterling Highway
Mailing address: PO 988, Kenai, AK 99611
Hours: Memorial Day through Labor Day: daily, 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Admission: Refer to website - Tour, $15; parking, $5
Staff: Sasha Lindgren, Director; Dana Verren
Cultural program of Kenaitze Indian Tribe. Dena'ina history and culture through archaeological sites and interpretation. Gift store.
Kenaitze Indian Tribe: Ts'itsana Center / Tribal Archives
Physical address: 10 North Willow, Kenai, AK 99611
Mailing address: PO 988, Kenai, Ak 99611
Hours: Mon.-Fri., 9:00 - 5:00
Staff: Dana Verrengia, Tribal Archivist
Archives for the Kenaitze Indian Tribe, over 600 items reflecting Kenaitze Dena'ina culture, tradition, and history. Extensive collection of Dena'ina language videos, tapes, and documentation. Open to the general public for educational purposes.
Kenai Visitors & Cultural Center
Physical location: 11471 Kenai Spur Highway, Kenai, AK 99611
Mailing address: same
Staff: Natasha Ala, Executive Director
Hours: Open year round: Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Sat. 10:45 a.m.-4:00 p.m., with extended summer hours May - Labor Day: Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m.-7 p.m., Sat. 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
Admission: No admission fee - for special events only. Donations accepted.
The Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center was built in commemoration of Kenai's 200th anniversary. The facility houses all the displays and exhibits from the Ft. Kenay Museum (which is now closed), a visitor center and an audio-visual room which shows movies about Alaska. The museum features Athabaskan, Aleut & Russian cultural exhibits, homesteading, mining, commercial fishing, and oil industry history displays, and a nature room. Shop carries products relating to local area.
Southeast Alaska Discovery Center, USDA Forest Service
Physical location: 50 Main Street, Ketchikan, AK 99901
Mailing address: same
Hours: May - September: Mon-Fri 8 a.m-5 p.m.; Sat-Sun 8 a.m.-4:00 p.m. Oct.-April: Thurs-Sun. 10:00 - 4:00
Summer admission: $5. Winter admission is free.
Accepts America-the-Beautiful passes.
Staff: Tim Fisher, Center Director
Experience world-class exhibits and audiovisual programs. Discover Tsimshian, Haida and Tlingit totem poles, the rainforest room, a Native fish camp scene, and exhibits on Southeast Alaska's ecosystems, fishing, mining, timber and tourism. Located one block from the cruise ship dock in downtown Ketchikan.
Tongass Historical Museum
Physical location: 629 Dock Street
Mailing address: 629 Dock Street, Ketchikan, AK 99901
Hours: May 1-Sept. 30: Daily 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.;
Oct.1-April 30: Wed.- Fri. 10 - 5 p.m.; Sat. & Sun. 1 - 4 p.m. Closed municipal holidays during winter.
Admission (summer only): Adults: $2, 12 and under: free.
Staff: Michael Naab, Director; Chris Hanson, Curator of Programs; Richard H. Van Cleave, Curator of Collections.
The varied and colorful history of Alaska's feisty "First City" unfolds at the Tongass Historical Museum. Discover Ketchikan as Native fish camp, gold and copper mining center, fishing port, timber town, salmon capital, transportation hub, and lively community. Changing exhibits. Located downtown at the North end of historic Creek Street.
Totem Heritage Center
Physical location: 601 Deermont Street
Mailing address: 629 Dock Street, Ketchikan, AK 99901
Hours: May 1-Sept. 30: Daily 8 a.m.- 5 p.m.; Oct. 1-April 30: Mon..- Fri. 1- 5 p.m.; Closed municipal holidays during winter.
Admission (summer only): Adults: $5; 12 & under, free.
Staff: Staff: Michael Naab, Director; Chris Hanson, Curator of Programs; Richard H. Van Cleave Sr., Curator of Collections.
Visitors to the Totem Heritage Center are awed by a world-renowned collection of original, unrestored 19th century totem poles, retrieved from abandoned Native villages near Ketchikan. Additional exhibits illuminate the rich culture of the Tlingit, Haida and Tsimshian people of Southeast Alaska. Located on Ketchikan Creek, across from the Tribal Hatchery and Eagle Center. Enjoy a totally Alaskan experience within walking distance of downtown. Native crafts, books, cards and gifts available in the shop (summer only).
(see listing under Wasilla)
Alutiiq Museum and Archaeological Repository
Physical location: 215 Mission Road, Suite 101
Mailing address: 215 Mission Road, Suite 101, Kodiak, AK 99615
Hours: Summer: Mon.-Sat. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sun.by appointment. Winter: Tu-F. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sat. 10:30 - 4:30.
Admission: $5; Kodiak Area Native Corporation shareholders, children 12 and under free.
Staff: Sven Haakanson, Jr., Director; Carol Duncan, Business Manager; Patrick Saltonstall, Curator.
The Alutiiq Museum and Archaeological Repository preserves the prehistoric and historic traditions of the Alutiiq people and promotes a greater public awareness of their rich cultural legacy through educational outreach, exhibits, special events, publications and scholarly presentations. Open to the public since May 1995, the Alutiiq Museum cares for a large collection of Eskimo artifacts. In addition to archaeological materials, the museum's collections also include ethnological, archival and photographic materials.
Baranov Museum/Kodiak Historical Society
Physical location: 101 Marine Way
Mailing address: 101 Marine Way, Kodiak, AK 99615
Hours: Summer: Mon.- Sat. 10 a.m.- 4 p.m., Sun. noon-4 p.m.;
Winter (closed February): Tues.-Sat. 10 a.m.-3 p.m., Closed Sun. and Mon.
Admission: Adult: $3; Children under 12: Free
Staff: Katie Oliver, Director; Alice Ryser, Archivist; Ellen Lester, Curator of Collections.
The museum is operated by the Kodiak Historical Society in the Erskine House, a National Historic Landmark and one of the few surviving Russian buildings in North America. The collection consists of pre-historic and historical objects from the Aleutian Islands and the Kodiak Archipelago. These objects span the Russian contact period, American era, World War II, and fisheries to the present. The archives has a fine collection of historical pictures, maps, documents, and private papers that are available for research. A store area within the museum has something of interest for the visitor and resident alike, the most impressive being the Russian samovar collection.
Kodiak Maritime Museum
Physical address: 500 Dog Salmon Rd.
Mailing address: PO 1876 Kodiak, AK 99615
Admission: N/A - No museum building. There are interpretive signs around the main harbor and have some displays at Key Bank and at the college.
Staff: Chris Lynch
Kodiak Military History Museum
Physical location: Ft. Abercrombie State Historical Park
Mailing address: 1417 B Mill Bay Road, Kodiak, AK 99615
Summer Hours start after Memorial Day: Sat., Mon.: 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Other times and winter by appointment.
Admission: Adult $3; Children under 12 Free
Volunteers: Joe Stevens and Curtis Law.
The facility is operated by the Kodiak Military History Museum, a non-profit, independent Alaska corporation. The displays are housed in the WWII Ready Ammunition Bunker at Miller Point in Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park. Ft. Abercrombie is part of a National Historic Landmark which includes the Kodiak Naval Base and Fort Greely. The building is a buried concrete structure built in 1942 to hold ammunition for two WWI era eight-inch naval guns, the remains of which are on display. The collection consists of communications equipment, artillery accessories, uniforms, art work, photographs, documents from WW1, WW2 and later in Kodiak and the Aleutians, and more. The collection spans from 1911 to the present. A small museum store has books about the Aleutian campaign, dummy ammunition, insignia and related items for sale.
Duncan Cottage Museum
Physical location: Tait Street
Mailing address: PO 8, Metlakatla, AK 99926
Phone: 886.8687 ex. 232
Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30am-12:30pm
Admission: $2.00 per person.
Staff: Pat Beal, Tourism Director
Home built in 1891 for Anglican Missionary William Duncan of Beverly, England. Exhibits include personal possessions, antique phonographs, furniture, telephones, Tsimshian bentwood box, ceremonial drum, book collection on Alaska territorial law, educational and religious magazines. Also, photographs of life in Metlakatla, British Columbia, on through migration to Metlakatla, Alaska, and pictorial display of history of William Duncan's life accomplishments. Guided tours available.
Alfred Starr Nenana Cultural Center
Physical location: 415 Riverfront, Nenana
Mailing address: PO 70, Nenana, AK 99760
Hours: Summer: Daily 9am -7pm. Winter: by appointment
Staff: Carol Gallo
The history and culture of Nenana area including Athabaskans, beadwork, land claims, native place names, Yukon 800 riverboat racing, dog mushing and the Nenana Ice Classic are presented. Extensive gift shop with local Native made items.
Carrie M. McLain Memorial Museum
Physical location: 223 Front Street
Mailing address: PO 53, Nome, AK 99762
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: June 1-Sept. 1: Daily 10 am-5:30 pm; Winter: Tues-Sat. Noon – 5 pm
Admission: Free! Donations accepted.
Staff: Laura Samuelson, Director; Cheryl Thompson, Collections Assistant.
Founder Carrie M. McLain began collecting Nome’s history in the mid-1940’s. The Carrie M. McLain Memorial Museum is owned and operated by the City of Nome. The Museum is dedicated to collecting, preserving and showcasing the Nome Gold Rush, Bering Sea Eskimo, Military, Aviation, as well as the contemporary history of Nome and the Bering Strait region of Western Alaska. It is a focal point of visitors and residents alike, providing education and research to everyone from school children to international visitors and researchers.
Nome's only museum showcases the fascinating history of the Nome Gold Rush from the discovery of gold by the Three Lucky Swedes in 1898, to the arrival of Wyatt Earp in 1899 to the rush of 40,000 people to Nome in 1900. Discover the lifestyle and art of the Bering Sea Eskimo. Learn about the Nome Kennel Club as well as well as the All Alaska Sweepstakes, the first long-distance sled dog race in the world. Home of "Fritz" - Leonhard Seppala's lead dog in the 1925 Serum Run and the Foundation Sire of the Siberian Husky Breed. The Museum holds an extensive historical photograph collection of 18,000 images.
Colony House Museum / Palmer Historical Society
Physical location: 316 East Elmwood Ave., a block from the Palmer Visitor's Center
Mailing address: PO 1935, Palmer, AK 99645-1935
Phone: 745.1935 (Historical Society)
Staff: Gerry Keeling, President of Historical Society and Museum Director 745-3703
Hours: May 1 - August 31: Tuesday - Sat. 10a.m. - 4 p.m.; Private group tours available on request.
Admission: Age 12 and over, $2; under age 12, $1
The house is an original "Colony Farm House" built expressly for the New Deal resettlement project sponsored in 1935 by the Roosevelt Administration. Visitors will learn the history of the Colony project, often first hand, from descendants of the original colonists who staff the house and serve as tour guides. The house is furnished ca. 1935-45, displaying some original furnishings supplied by Sears and Roebuck for the colonists.
Palmer Museum of History and Art
Physical location: 723 S. Valley Way (In the Palmer Visitors Center)
Mailing address: 723 S. Valley Way, Palmer, AK 99645
Hours: Summer (May 1-Sept. 15): Daily 9 a.m.- 6 p.m.; Winte (Oct. - April)r: Mon. - Fri. 10 a.m.- 5 p.m.
Admission: No admission fee, donations accepted.
Exhibits depicting the Greater Palmer Regions art, history, and development: Alaska Native, Mining, Homesteading, Farming, 1935 Colony Project, Matanuska Maid Dairy. Agricultural showcase of Alaska vegetation, vegetable gardens with famous giant vegetables.
Clausen Memorial Museum
Physical location: 203 Fram Street
Mailing address: PO 708, Petersburg, AK 99833
Phone: 772.3598; Leave message to receive further information.
Hours: Summer (May 1-mid-Sept.): Mon-Sat 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.; Winter (Oct.-third week of December, Feb.- April): Two days a week and by appointment.
Admission: General admission: $3; Children age 11 and under and museum members: free.
Staff: Sue McCallum, Director.
Clausen Memorial Museum assists you as you explore the beauty and bounty of the Stikine River delta, Coastal mountain glaciers and the Mitkof, Kupreanof and mainland areas. Logging and fishing for salmon, halibut, black cod, crab, shrimp and more are just some of the attractions that have drawn hard-working people to make a living in this area for at least two thousand years. Find out how to catch a halibut, rig a long-line, peel a shrimp, harvest a forest, set a fish trap, make lutefisk and clean a salmon. Enjoy a trip to the past and see cannery equipment, the Cape Decision light lens, a Tlingit canoe, the Fisk sculpture, the world's largest mounted king salmon and much more. Special programs for adults and children are presented during the year. The museum shop, and easy access to parking, rest rooms and exhibit areas are provided.
Alaska SeaLife Center
Physical location: 301 Railway Avenue
Mailing address: PO 1329, Seward, AK 99664
Phone: 800.224.2525 or 224.6300
Hours: May 1- Labor Day.: Daily 9am-6:30pm unless a cruise ship is in, in which case it is 8am-7pm; Sept. to April: 10am-5pm
Admission: Adults: $20; Youth (12-17): $15; Youth (4-11): $10; under 4: Free.
Staff: Bonnie Apperson, Receptionist
The Alaska SeaLife Center (ASLC) is dedicated to understanding and maintaining the integrity of the marine ecosystem of Alaska through research, rehabilitation and public education. The ASLC offers visitors unique wildlife viewing experiences and exciting opportunities to learn first-hand about ongoing marine research. Come face-to-face with a variety of marine animals and sink your hands into our touch tank. Interact with researchers and their knowledgeable assistants during daily interpretive programs. The ASLC is perched above spectacular Resurrection Bay in Seward, Alaska, approximately 125 miles south of Anchorage. Gift shop and restaurant on site.
Seward Community Library Museum
Physical location: 239 6th Avenue
Mailing address: PO Box 2389, Seward, AK 99664-2389
Phone/Fax: 224.3902 / 224-3521
Staff: Patricia Linville, Director
Hours: Please call for hours.
Admission: Adults: $5; Children 12 and under: Free
The museum portion of the library museum presents the chief events of Seward's history through photographs, artifacts and documents. There is also a fine collection of Native baskets and ivory carvings on display. A special open house is held every August 28 in honor of the founding of Seward in 1903. Museum shop carries books by local authors and other items relating to local area.
Sitka Historical Museum
Physical location: 330 Harbor Drive
Mailing address: 330 Harbor Drive, Sitka, AK 99835
Hours: May-Sept: Daily 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; Oct.-April; 10 a.m.- 4 p.m. Tues-Sat.
Admission: No admission fee.
Staff: Robert Medinger, Director.
Make the Isabel Miller Museum, in the Centennial Building, your first stop, as Sitka's history unfolds here. Packed with displays, photographs and artifacts, the museum provides a perspective for almost everything one sees during a visit. One of the first things visitors notice is a scale model of Sitka circa 1867, the time of the transfer of Alaska from Russia to the U.S. Exhibits include the legacy of WWII. Ever wonder how Sitkans: Tlingit, Russian and early American, lived during the last thousand, hundred or ten years? It's here. An attractive gift shop offers many exclusives and a collection of Tlingit, Russian and local hand-crafted items related to collections.
Russian Bishop's House
(see listing below under Sitka National Historical Park)
Sheldon Jackson Museum
Physical location: 104 College Drive
Mailing address: 104 College Drive, Sitka, AK 99835-7657
Museum shop: 747.6233.
Hours: Summer: Daily 9am-5pm; Winter: Tues-Sat 10am- 4pm
Admission: Adults: $4 summer, $3 winter. 18 & under and Friends members, free; Museum Pass: $15.
Staff: Lysa Bykonen, Assistant, Museum Protection and Visitor Services.
Dr. Sheldon Jackson, museum founder, had the distinction of serving in three pioneer fields during the late 1800s, founding Protestant missions and schools, establishing the public school system, and introducing domestic reindeer. In his travels he reached many sections of Alaska, as well as the coast of Siberia, gathering the majority of the artifacts now seen in the museum. Located on the campus of Sheldon Jackson College, the museum was established in 1888 to preserve the natural and cultural history of Alaska. The building, listed on the National Register of Historic Sites, was constructed in 1895 and is the oldest concrete building in the state. Since 1984, it has been one of the Alaska State Museums. The Museum Shop carries Alaska Native handicrafts, arts, carvings, baskets, dolls, and silver, as well as publications and graphics relating to the collections.
Sitka National Historical Park
Physical location: Visitor Center: 106 Metlakatla Street; Russian Bishop's House: Lincoln Street
Mailing address: 103 Monastery Street, Sitka, AK 99835
Hours: Open year round (Call about hours).
Admission:$4 at Visitor Center. $4 admission at Bishop's House.
Staff: Mary Miller, Superintendent; Sue Thorsen, Curator; Ramona East, Park Museum Specialist; Gene Griffin, Resource Management.
The museum collection includes Tlingit ethnographic items, Tlingit and Haida totem poles, Russian American historical and archaeological collections, historical photographs, archives and herbarium specimens. The park's Visitor's Center features exhibits on Tlingit culture, and a slide program on the 1804 "Battle of Sitka." A wing of the Visitor Center houses the Southeast Alaska Indian Cultural Center, Inc., an independent organization of Tlingit artists who demonstrate and teach traditional wood and silver carving, (see below). An extensive collection of historic Tlingit and Haida totem poles, originally brought to Sitka by Alaska's first territorial governor, border the park trail along Sitka Sound. Also within park grounds is the site where Kiksadi Tlingit fought the Russians in 1804, before establishing Sitka as capital of Russian America. The Russian Bishop's House, a National Historic Landmark in th e care of Sitka National Historical Park, is one of four original Russian structures remaining in North America. Exhibits on its first floor interpret Russian American fur trade in Alaska, and the roles of the Russian American Company and Russian Orthodox Church. Located in downtown Sitka on Lincoln Street, the house's second floor is restored to its 1850s' appearance with original and period furnishings.
Southeast Alaska Indian Cultural Center
Physical location: 106 Metlakatla Street (inside the Park Visitor Center)
Mailing address: 106 Metlakatla Street Suite C, Sitka, AK 99835
Admin. Phone: 747.8061
Hours: Call for hours.
Staff: Gail Johansen-Peterson, Director.
Artists: Tommy Joseph (carver/wood), Teri Rofkar (weaver/ baskets & robes), Margret Gross-Hope (beadwork); Catherine Pook (bead artist); Charlie Skuotka (precious metals engraving).
SEAICC provides a program of Northwest Coast art demonstrations and cultural interpretation in three studios- wood, metals and fiber arts. During the winter we offer instruction in N.W. Coast art media. We have displays of student art and special exhibits year round. SEIACC also sponsors special projects and collaborates with other regional organizations.
Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park
Physical location: Second & Broadway
Mailing address: PO 517, Skagway, AK 99840
Hours: May - Sept: daily 8am-6pm. Oct-April 8am-5pm
Admission: No admission fee, donations accepted. Campground requires permit
Staff: Debra Sanders, Curator; Susan Bourdreau, Superintendent; Sandra Snell-Dobert, Chief of Interpretation.
Housed in the circa 1898 White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad Depot, the historic Moore house and the Mascot Saloon. Collections consist of over 200,000 archaeology artifacts associated with the Klondike gold rush and 3,000 copies of historic photographs of the gold rush period. Library and 100-seat auditorium. Guided tours, interpretive programs, films and permanent exhibitions.
Skagway Museum and Archives
Physical location: 700 Spring Street in the Historic District.
Mailing address: PO 521, Skagway, AK 99840
Hours: Summer (Mid-May to September): Mon.-Fri, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm; Sat, 10:00 a.m to 5:00 p.m.; Sun.10:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m. Call for winter hours.
Staff: Judy Munns, Director.
Admission: Adults: $2; Students: $1; Children 12 and under: free. Group rates available by prior arrangement.
Skagway's unique history as a vital transportation corridor and gateway to interior Alaska and the Yukon is portrayed in the artifacts, photographs and historical records of the past century exhibited in the McCabe College Building. On display are a Tlingit canoe, a Portland Cutter sleigh, Bering Sea kayaks, a WP&YR locomotive and caboose, and a 1931 Ford AA truck. Also exhibited are supplies, tools and gambling equipment used in the Klondike Gold Rush of 1898 and an Alaska Native heritage collection of baskets, beadwork and carvings.
Soldotna Historical Society and Museum
Physical location: 461 Centennial Park Road
Mailing address: PO 1986, Soldotna, AK 99669
Hours: Summer only or by appointment.
Admission: No admission fee; donations accepted.
Homesteaders' village; wildlife displays; Native artifacts; and lectures by appointment.
Alpine Historical Park
Physical location: Mile 61.5 Glenn Highway
Mailing address: PO 266, Sutton, AK 99674
Hours: Memorial Day-Labor Day: Daily 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Admission: No admission fee.
Staff: Charlene Schmidtkunz, Secretary 746.1852
Located between the Chugach and Talkeetna Mountain ranges, the Park provides a lovely expanse of lawns and gardens with playground, benches, and picnic tables. The Park focuses on three main areas of local history: the coal "boom and bust" era of the late teens and early 1920s; the Athabaskan Indian culture ' (Ahtna and Dena'ina); and the construction of the Glenn Highway. Historic buildings and equipment enable visitors to experience life from the past.
Talkeetna Historical Society
Physical location: Corner of First Alley & Village Airstrip
Mailing address: PO Box 76, Talkeetna, AK 99676
Hours: May 1 - Sept. 30, 10am-6pm daily. Winter by appt.
Admission: General : $3. Under 12 are free.
Staff: Misty Herlehy, curator
History of Talkeetna including mining, railroad and flying. A 12-foot by 12-foot scale model of Mt. McKinley with photographs. Also mountain climbing displays.
Trapper Creek Museum
Physical location: Mile .75 west of Parks Highway on Petersville Road
Mailing address: Box 13011, Trapper Creek, AK 99683
Hours: Open daily during the summer (Memorial Day through Labor Day), 10 a.m.-4 p.m. and by appointment during the winter.
Staff: Kenneth L. Marsh, Curator
The museum highlights the history of Trapper Creek, Cache Creek Mining District and Petersville Road. Displays include maps, pictures and artifacts reflecting the Gold Rush. The Trapper Creek area was settled in 1959 by a caravan of people who traveled from Michigan. Commonly referred to as the "59ers," those who stayed settled and homesteaded in Trapper Creek. They were solely dependent on the railroad for transportation, which meant crossing the Susitna River to reach the tracks. It was not until the mid-1970s that the community became linked to the Parks Highway.
Aleutian World War II National Historical Park and Visitor Center
Physical location: Visitor Center at Unalaska Airport. Park occupies historic Fort Scwatka.
Mailing address: Ounalashka Corporation, P.O. Box 149, Unalaska, AK 99685
Hours: Visitor center, Summer: 11am - 8pm daily. Winter: Tues-Sat 11am - 6pm. Varies with cruise ship schedules.
Admission: Permits required
The Park is owned by the Ounalashka corporation, the local Native corporation, and is managed with the assistance of the National Park Service. Located in the historic Aerology Building, the Visitor Center provides exhibits on the Aleutian Campaign of World War II, the evacuation and internment of the Unangan (Aleut) people, and the culture of the local Unangan people. A radio room has been reconstructed to look as it did during World War II.
Museum of the Aleutians
Mailing Address: PO 648, Unalaska, AK 99685-0648
Physical address: 314 Salmon Way
Hours: Summer (June 1 - Aug 31) Tues-Sun 11am-6pm. Winter (Sept 1 - May 30) Tues-Sat 11am-5pm.
Admission: $5.00, Free to Museum Members ($25 annual fee).
Staff: Zoya Johnson, Director; Liezel Esnardo, Visitor Services
The Museum of the Aleutians preserves and shares the cultural and artistic heritage of the Aleutian Island area. An archaeological laboratory and artifact repository supports research including annual archaeological excavations and surveys. Volunteers and students are welcome to participate in archaeological field work. Permanent exhibits focus on Aleut/Unangan prehistory and ethnographic items, the Russian-America period, the late 19th century, and WWII in the Aleutians. Changing exhibits include traveling exhibits on regional history and art. A Museum Store is one of the area's best gift shops.
Maxine & Jesse Whitney Museum
Physical location: 303 Lowe Street, adjacent to Prince William Sound Community College
Mailing address: PO Box 97
Valdez, AK 99686
Phone: 834.1690 Fax: 835.8933
Hours: Summer: Memorial Day- Labor Day, Daily 9 a.m.- 7 p.m. Winter: Mondays and by appointment
Admission: Adults: $5; Seniors over 60 and military: $4; Children under 17: $3; Under 3: Free
Staff: Wendy Goldstein, Museum Manager
The Maxine and Jesse Whitney Museum has one of the world's largest collections of Native Alaskan art and artifacts. Displays include Trophy Class Taxidermy mounts, Native Alaskan dolls, beadwork, baskets, masks, archaeological artifacts, and a large collection of ivory carvings and tools.
Valdez Museum and Historical Archive
Physical location: 217 Egan Drive
Mailing address: PO 8, Valdez, AK 99686-0008
Hours: Summer (May 16 - Sept 25) Daily 9am-5pm. Winter (Sept 26 - May 15) Mon-Fri 1-5pm, Sat 12-5pm.
Admission: General admission (18 and older): $5. Discounts available for seniors, students 16-18 and educational groups.
Staff: Kathryn Hurtley, Director; Rich Dunkin, Programs Manager; Steve Richardson, Education Curator.
The museum portrays the community's unique and colorful history from European exploration in the 1700s to contemporary oil transportation. Permanent exhibits are accented by temporary exhibitions of arts and crafts. Major artifacts include a 19th century Fresnel Lighthouse Lens, a beautifully restored 1907 Ahrens "Continental" steam fire engine and a companion 1880s Gleason & Bailey hand-pumped fire engine, saltwater aquariums with the marine life of Port Valdez, a Civil War-era cannon, an ornate turn-of-the-century saloon bar, and much gold rush material. Other exhibits depict the effects of the 1964 earthquake and the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill on this small Prince William Sound community.
Dorothy Page Museum and Old Wasilla Townsite Park
Physical location: 323 North Main Street
Mailing address: 323 North Main Street, Wasilla, AK 99654
Hours: April 1 - Sept 30: Mon-Sat 9am-5pm. / Winter: Wed-Fri 9am-5pm.
Admission: Adults: $3; Seniors: $2.50; Military, $2; Under 12: Free
Staff: Margaret Rogers, Museum Aide
Regional history of mining, farming, Alaska Native and natural history; and historic buildings. Much of the collection is owned by the Wasilla-Knik-Willow Creek Historical Society.
Physical location: Mile 13.9 Knik Road
Mailing address: 300 N. Boundary Street, Suite B, Wasilla, AK 99654
Hours: June-Sept. 15: Daily noon to 6 pm. Closed winter.
Staff: Benoni Nelson, Director; Vi Reddington, chief volunteer.
Located on the world-famous Iditarod Trail and housed in one of the two remaining buildings from Knik's original townsite, the Knik Museum features the Sled Dog Musher's Hall of Fame on the second floor. The museum building was previously used as a pool hall and roadhouse, and now contains a collection of clothing, dishes, furniture and artifacts from Knik's earlier days. Operated by the Wasilla-Knik-Willow Creek Historical Society.
Museum of Alaska Transportation and Industry
Physical location: 3800 W. Museum Drive
Mailing address: PO 870646, Wasilla, AK 99687
Hours: May 1-Sept. 30: Daily, 10-5 p.m.; Closed in winter.
Admission: Adults $8, Seniors $5. Ages 3-17 $5. Military $5.
More than 200 major artifacts include aircraft, construction and mining equipment, tractors and farm machinery, fishing boats, railroad locomotives and road vehicles. From manpower through the steam age, to modern aviation, descriptive signs let the machines tell the story of Alaska's development. An exhibit on Alaska's many railroads is housed in three W.W.II troop sleepers and a caboose. Expanded indoor gallery exhibits greet visitors year-round. Special summer events include the "Blast from the Past" and "Great Alaskan Antique Power Show." Atwood Park welcomes family and group picnics. Shop for items relating to the museum's collection. Volunteers are always welcome.
Prince William Sound Museum
Physical location: Anchor Inn Building, Whittier Street, Whittier, Ak
Mailing address: 2207 Spenard Road #207 Anchorage, Alaska 99503
Hours: 9am-7pm daily
Staff: Ted M. Spencer, executive director
This museum was a long wished for project by Whittier residents. With the sponsorship and cooperation of the Prince William Sound Economic Development District, Whittier citizens formed the Whittier Museum Association a 501(C)3 nonprofit organization. Using floorspace at the Anchor Inn donated by the Shen family, a plan was developed for a small museum of 1000 square feet. The association set about applying for grants and donations from state and private interests. Over a 3 year period the association has been able to create a professional museum presentation of 19 exhibits in Whittier. These exhibits tell the story of Whittier's history as a military port and rail terminal as well as reflections on Alaskan military heritage during World War II and the Cold War
Tribal House of the Bear
Physical location: Foot of Front Street
Mailing address: PO 868, Wrangell, AK 99929
Hours: Summer, during tour ship visits and by appointment; Winter, by appointment.
Admission: $2 for 18 and over.
Staff: Margaret Sturtevant, Nora Rinehart.
Replica of a traditional tribal house constructed by the CCC during the Roosevelt administration. Display of tools used in the construction of the building. Replicas of the famous Shakes house posts. Also has the Frog house posts of the Kiksadi clan. Interpreter gives history of the house and local information.
Physical location: 296 Campbell Drive
Mailing address: PO 1050, Wrangell, AK 99929
Hours: May 1 to September 30, Mon.-Sat. 10 am to 5 pm.
October 1 to April 30, Tue.-Sat. 1 to 5 pm.
Admission: Adults $5, Seniors $3, Kids 6-12 $2, Family $12.
Staff: Dennis Chapman, Director.
History of Wrangell beginning with early Native American prehistory, SE Alaska Native American cultures; Russian and British contact period; Gold Rush period; fishing, mining and forest industries; turn-of-the-century Wrangell. Display includes original house posts from Chief Shakes house carved in the mid-1700s. A "spruce canoe", one of very few still in existence, a turn-of-the-century spruce and cedar bark basket collection, several original totem poles, and everyday memorabilia. Museum gift shop sells books, cards, petroglyph stamps, and Wrangell garnets from Garnet Ledge.
Page last updated 10/17/2013