Museum Services Web Chats
Welcome to museum services' web chat archives. The web chats are presented using Elluminate. If you haven't joined us for a chat before, visit this page to verify that you can get into Elluminate.
Programs with audio will require headphones or speakers connected to your computer.
Scheduled Web Chats
- Chat 32: June 12 at 11 am - Regular text chat
Archived Web Chats
- Chat 31: May 8 at 11 am - Special Guest Curator Samantha Richerts from the Klondike Gold Rush National Park in Skagway who will discuss gold rush artifacts from the Rapuzzi collection that are available for donation to museums in Alaska. (Audio)
- Chat 30: April 17 at 11 am - A rundown of the Alaska Collections Emergency Response Teams that are forming up in Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau to help out when our collections are impacted by some disaster. You will be hearing more about this in the future.
- Chat 29: March 13 at 11 am - Exhibit workshop at the Museums Alaska Conference in September, Exhibit policies, Strategic Plans, Accreditation, ASM museum chat changing from Blackboard to WebEx
- Chat 28: February 13 at 11 am - Topics: Migratory Bird Treaty Act and what museums are required to do if they own other marine mammal parts
- Chat 27: January 16 at 11 am - Topics: During the chat we talked a bit about the SLAM ground breaking ceremony which happened yesterday and the IMLS grant to bring people down to help with the move.
- Chat 26: December 12 at 11 am - Topics: Session ideas for the Museums Alaska conference in Haines next September 25-28, Seminar for Historical Administration, Art rack storage
- Chat 25: November 14 at 11 am - Topics: Humidity control in small museums in Alaska, Storing exhibit cases and Plexiglas in an unheated environment, The migratory bird act and what to do with feathers and specimens, Complications of de-accessioning a seal pelt, Sessions we would like to see at the Museums Alaska meeting in Haines
- Chat 24: September 12 at 11 am - Topics: Coordinating Museum exhibits in 2014 commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Good Friday Earthquake of 1964, Live broadcasting of museum events, Alaskan Museums on Second Life, Museum Kiosks, who uses them in Alaska , how are they working, How to charge when a museum does outside work for other entities
- Chat 23: July 11, 2012 at 11 am - Topics: Focused chat on Object Labeling with Conservator Ellen Carrlee
- Chat 22: June 13, 2012 at 11 AM - Topic: Artist Files
- Chat 21: May 16, 2012 at 11 AM - Topics: Alaska Museum Snapshot day; Grant in Aid eligibility, including attachments with the application, and further discussion of people projects; Topics for future focused chats
- Chat 20: April 11, 2012 at 11 AM - Topics: Art Acquisition Fund Program & Grant-In-Aid questions and proposals.
- Chat 19: March 14, 2012 at 11 AM - Topic: Vilda with quest speaker Jim Simard, Head of Historical Collections.
- Chat 18: February 15, 2012 at 11 AM - Topics: Copyright issues involving photographs and fair use, Stuffing skin drums with cotton to keep them from splitting, Snapshot day for Alaska Museum day in May, Who is using Facebook for their museum, The Alaska Native Libraries, Archives, and Museums Boot Camp last week in Anchorage.
- Chat 17: January 18, 2012 at 11 AM - Topics: Cold and Snow in Alaska, Scanning and storing slides, Keeping the RH up in Winter, & Cold and low RH affecting Paintings.
- Chat 16: December 16, 2011 - No Audio; Native art , Native artists and non-Native artists creating art in the Native tradition.
- Chat 15: November 9, 2011 - Storms in Western Alaska, fire suppression systems, museum store issues, obtaining ownership rights for artifacts found in collections.
- Chat 14: October 12, 2011 - Museums Alaska Annual meeting in Valdez discussion.
- Chat 13: August 10, 2011 (What's That White Stuff with Christa Pack.)
- Chat 12: July 13, 2011 (No Audio, Copyright, Numbering of Museum Cases, And Issues With City Owned Collections)
- Chat 11: June 15, 2011 (No Audio, Ethics of Donations and Donor Relations)
- Chat 10: May 18, 2011 (No Audio, Grant in Aid Discussion)
- Chat 9: April 13, 2011 (No Audio, exhibit labels, Cell Phone apps, the IMLS course Shaping Evaluations, Grant in Aid Applications and projects, Paper conservator in Alaska)
- Chat 8: March 16, 2011
Special topic: Norm Lagasse spoke on the LED lighting improvements that were made at the Aviation Heritage Museum in Anchorage.
- Chat 7: February 16, 2011 (Museum educational loan kits, Alaska Native Libraries Archives and Museums Summit (April 27-30 2011), The Museums Alaska Annual Meeting in Valdez (Sept. 21-25 2011), Archives Training Opportunities, Alaska Museum Day (May 14) Film Project Deadline (March 1), Museum Projects Around the State)
- Chat 6: January 12, 2011
Special Topic: AV media preservation
- Chat 5: December 15, 2010
- Chat 4: November 17, 2010 (Audio in second half of session)
- Chat 3: October 20, 2010 (No Audio, Museums Q&A including interpretive planning and computer servers)
- Chat 2: September 22, 2010 (No Audio, Museums Alaska)
- Chat 1: August 18, 2010 - Not recorded
Page last updated 05/08/2013