Museum Services Web Chats
Welcome to museum services' web chat archives. The web chats are presented using WebEx. If you haven't joined us for a chat before, please join a WebEx Test meeting to make sure your computer can handle WebEx.
Programs with audio will require headphones or speakers connected to your computer.
Next Web Chat
Summer hiatus. See you in August!
Archived Chats and Presentations
Looking for our special chats with audio and visual aids? Visit our chats video playlist on YouTube.
#57: April 18
#56: February 28
Special guests Sarah Asper-Smith and Scott Barlett offered exhibit design tips and tricks.
#55: January 17
Discussion about research policies and collections usage fees.
- Chat 54: December 13
Freya Anderson, Alaska State Librarian, discussed copyright.
- Chat 53: November 15
Discussion about found in collection and abandoned property.
- Chat 52: October 11
Discussion about the Museums Alaska Annual meeting in Anchorage.
- Chat 51: September 13
Guest Amy Steffian offered tips on how to write better Collections Management fund and Art Acquisition grants
- Chat 49-50: June, July, August
- Chat 48: May 24
Grant in Aid projects (Deadline June 1st), SpaceSaver mobile storage unit dividers, sources for Plexi cubes, and possible future topics for the chat
- Chat 47: April 26
- Chat 46: April 15th
Special Topic and guest: Center for Interactive Learning and Collaboration (CILC) with Shane Southwick, Program Coordinator for the Alaska State Libraries' OWL Project:
- Chat 45: January 28th (Special Session) – CHAMPS advocacy with Karen Witter
- Chat 44: January 14th – ordering labeling materials, collecting visitor data
- Chat 43: November 19th – ASM move, Memorandums of Understanding, window coverings
- Chat 42: September 24th – Artists' Intent
Webinar introducing a brainstorming session on gathering artists' intent which can have effects on the curatorial, exhibition and conservation aspects of museum work. After the audio portion, there was an extended text chat session available in transcript below:
- Chat 41: May 14th - ASM move and Grant-In-Aid projects
- Chat 40: April 16th - SLAM updates and Grant-In-Aid
- Chat 39: February 12th - SLAM updates about museum move
- Chat 38: January 14th - Discussion about future "themed" chats
- Chat 37: December 11th - Topics (text chat): changing the ASM Museum Chat time, portable temporary display walls, 1964 Earthquake Commemorations, “Model” vs. “Miniature” for museum cataloging
- Chat 36: November 13th - Topics (text chat): working with a museum board, exhibit mount making
- Chat 35: October 16th - Special Guest Curator Bethany Buckingham of the Dorothy G. Page Museum in Palmer discussed her experience in assisting with packing objects in the Alaska State Museum.
- Chat 34: Septemer 11th - Topics (text chat): collecting visitor data, doing exhibits without an in-house design team, inexpensive monitors to show videos in the gallery
- Chat 33: August 14th - Topics (text chat): possible sources of funding for artworks in city beautification projects, donations or bequests that come all at once or over time, insurance on collections, Past Perfect and a less than perfect numbering system, granite sculpture in need of a conservator
- Chat 32: July 17 - Text chat: "Found in collections", grease on a basket, deaccessioning, label rail for exhibits.
- Chat 31: May 8
Special Guest Curator Samantha Richerts from the Klondike Gold Rush National Park in Skagway — gold rush artifacts from the Rapuzzi collection that used to be available for donation to museums in Alaska:
- Video (YouTube, 31:45)
- Chat 30: April 17 - A rundown of the Alaska Collections Emergency Response Teams that are forming up in Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau to help out when our collections are impacted by some disaster. You will be hearing more about this in the future.
- Chat 29: March 13 - Exhibit workshop at the Museums Alaska Conference in September, Exhibit policies, Strategic Plans, Accreditation, ASM museum chat changing from Blackboard to WebEx
- Chat 28: February 13 - Topics: Migratory Bird Treaty Act and what museums are required to do if they own other marine mammal parts
- Chat 27: January 16 - Topics: During the chat we talked a bit about the SLAM ground breaking ceremony which happened yesterday and the IMLS grant to bring people down to help with the move.
- Chat 26: December 12 - Topics: Session ideas for the Museums Alaska conference in Haines next September 25-28, Seminar for Historical Administration, Art rack storage
- Chat 25: November 14 - Topics: Humidity control in small museums in Alaska, Storing exhibit cases and Plexiglas in an unheated environment, The migratory bird act and what to do with feathers and specimens, Complications of de-accessioning a seal pelt, Sessions we would like to see at the Museums Alaska meeting in Haines
- Chat 24: September 12 - Topics: Coordinating Museum exhibits in 2014 commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Good Friday Earthquake of 1964, Live broadcasting of museum events, Alaskan Museums on Second Life, Museum Kiosks, who uses them in Alaska , how are they working, How to charge when a museum does outside work for other entities
- Chat 23: July 11, 2012
Special Topic with guest speaker: Object Labeling with Conservator Ellen Carrlee:
- Chat 22: June 13, 2012 - Topic: Artist Files
- Chat 21: May 16, 2012 - Topics: Alaska Museum Snapshot day; Grant in Aid eligibility, including attachments with the application, and further discussion of people projects; Topics for future focused chats
- Chat 20: April 11, 2012 - Topics: Art Acquisition Fund Program & Grant-In-Aid questions and proposals.
- Chat 19: March 14, 2012
Special Topic: VILDA (Alaska's Digital Archives) with guest speaker Jim Simard, Head of Historical Collections:
- Chat 18: February 15, 2012 - Topics: Copyright issues involving photographs and fair use, Stuffing skin drums with cotton to keep them from splitting, Snapshot day for Alaska Museum day in May, Who is using Facebook for their museum, The Alaska Native Libraries, Archives, and Museums Boot Camp last week in Anchorage.
- Chat 17: January 18, 2012 - Topics: Cold and Snow in Alaska, Scanning and storing slides, Keeping the RH up in Winter, & Cold and low RH affecting Paintings.
- Chat 16: December 16, 2011 - Native art , Native artists and non-Native artists creating art in the Native tradition.
- Chat 15: November 9, 2011 - Storms in Western Alaska, fire suppression systems, museum store issues, obtaining ownership rights for artifacts found in collections.
- Chat 14: October 12, 2011 - Museums Alaska Annual meeting in Valdez discussion.
- Chat 13: August 10, 2011
Special topic: What's That White Stuff with Christa Pack:
- Chat 12: July 13, 2011 (Copyright, Numbering of Museum Cases, And Issues With City Owned Collections)
- Chat 11: June 15, 2011 (Ethics of Donations and Donor Relations)
- Chat 10: May 18, 2011 (Grant in Aid Discussion)
- Chat 9: April 13, 2011 (exhibit labels, Cell Phone apps, the IMLS course Shaping Evaluations, Grant in Aid Applications and projects, Paper conservator in Alaska)
- Chat 8: March 16, 2011
Special topic: Norm Lagasse spoke on the LED lighting improvements that were made at the Aviation Heritage Museum in Anchorage:
- Chat 7: February 16, 2011 (Museum educational loan kits, Alaska Native Libraries Archives and Museums Summit (April 27-30 2011), The Museums Alaska Annual Meeting in Valdez (Sept. 21-25 2011), Archives Training Opportunities, Alaska Museum Day (May 14) Film Project Deadline (March 1), Museum Projects Around the State)
- Chat 6: January 12, 2011, AV media preservation – Webinar presented by Bob Curtis-Johnson of Summit Day Media discussing approaches to preserve audio tapes, videotapes, film and other audiovisual media.
- Video (YouTube, 57:10)
- Chat 5: December 15, 2010
- Transcript (PDF 196kb)
- Topics: Exhibiting Artists works for commission, Sourcing Ethafoam, Photography in Museums and copyright, Discussion of 2 possible HVAC systems for museums radiant floor heating and displacement ventilation
- Chat 4: November 17, 2010, LED Lighting — Webinar about LED lighting at the Alaska Native Heritage Center, presented by Scott Neel:
- Chat 3: October 20, 2010 ( Museums Q&A including interpretive planning and computer servers)
- Chat 2: September 22, 2010 (Museums Alaska)
- Chat 1: August 18, 2010 - Not recorded